It’s been three weeks since I left my old job and walked out of the office for the last time. It feels like it’s been a lot longer, and it feels like it’s just been a few days. Time is slipping by, life goes on, and the world does not wait.
I’ve had a great three weeks.
I finished the third draft of Lost Dogs #5, and I finished the second draft of Lost Dogs #6. I started thinking about the next part in the series, and I even went over my old notes for what I had planned for the story.
That’s when I decided to throw it out.
Okay, that’s overly dramatic, and it’s not entirely accurate. What I actually will do, is move the story back a bit, and give it a place later on in the series. It just doesn’t feel right to leave it where it is now.
Part 6, which I just finished is a bit of an interlude. It answers a number of questions that were asked in the previous books, and it asks a few new ones, but it doesn’t move the overall story forward. Nothing that happens in the story has any impact on either Roy or Alene.
It’s still a good story, and I think you will enjoy it if you’ve read the previous parts, but it’s enough with one such story. That’s the reason I’m pushing back part 7 to a later point in the series – it’s just the same. It doesn’t move the story forwards in a significant way, and having two such stories in a row would be a bit much.
Instead, I’m moving on to Part #8, which I still don’t have a name for, except that it’ll now be Part #7. Most likely the title will have something to do with crossing a line, or with putting your trust in someone you don’t know…
I have a good feeling about this one. It’s got potential.
Also, this is the first time in ages that I’m starting up a new story. Ever since May or June last year, all I’ve done is rewrite stories I’d already written: the first six parts in the Lost Dogs series. I’ve been writing second and third drafts. Some of them were almost complete rewrites, and some were as good as done as they were.
Now though, all I have is an outline, and I need to rewrite that one too.
I’m nervous, excited, and a little bit scared.
This means I’ve been procrastinating.
This weekend, it’s taken the form of revamping the ebook covers for all of the books. I did like the old covers, and the font, but it was pointed out to me that they didn’t quite work as far as genre, design, etc goes.
If I’d been a world famous author with millions of books sold, I’m sure I could have gotten away with that, but now that I’m not, different rules apply (they probably apply for famous authors too). I need covers that are eye catching AND which tells the reader what kind of book it is.
To be precise, the covers need to conform to genre expectations. It’s sensible, and I understand the reasoning, but I just don’t like the word conform, and the associations it brings with it, so I try not to think about it like that.
Anyway, here are my new covers.
I got a little bit of feedback from friends online on the cover for Part #1, and then I applied the same principles to the rest of them. Part #4 looks a bit crazy, but that kind of fits with the story.
If you’re a designer, you can probably tell I’m not.
Still, I do feel like it’s a step in the right direction, and I’ve uploaded the new covers to Amazon. Hopefully it won’t take forever for them to review and approve them. With a bit of luck, they’ll be available online within the next 24 hours, and then I’ll start looking into advertising again.
I did start running ads, because I was really excited about trying it out. It sort of worked, but I spent way more money on it than I made back. I think the main benefit was that I got the excitement out of my system, and now that I’ve tried it, I can slow down, take a step back, and start over with a more sensible approach.
I’ll tell you more about that at some other time.